Friday, April 27, 2012
Wildlife and its use for the names of hotels also led to street names. In this case, the street which is now Barkers Road was originally called Beehive Road after the 1854 Beehive Hotel which operated from the corner of Beehive Road and Kew Road. This report from the South Bourke Standard on 4 July 1862 on the Hawthorn Council meeting on June 30, 1862 refers to correspondence with the neighbouring Kew Council in relation to changing the name of Beehive-road to Barkers-road as well as correspondence about road works on Beehive-road.
The early settlers of Hawthorn (and Boroondara more generally) found lots of unfamiliar wildlife around them. But we don't find any hotels called The Wallaby or The Opossum. Instead they named their hotels as they had done in their places of origin, in this case the Red Lion, an entirely other kind of wildlife.
This 1936 photo of the then delicensed Red Lion in Church Street Hawthorn gives us an idea of the now demolished hotel which was of great local significance as a site for early political and social gatherings fron 1852.
Saturday, April 21, 2012
Cole's Book Arcade in Melbourne was characterized by its rainbow symbol and the the Coles Funny Picture Books all had rainbows on them. Cole also had a rainbow garden at his Essendon house and is photographed beside it in this this book. This biography, Cole of the Book Arcade, was lovingly written by E. Cole Turnley, grandson of the book arcade owner.
And the Boroondara link? Well, the author Cole Turnley (known to us as Ted) was a long time Hawthorn resident and Hawthorn Library user. The Rainbow Man, Cole himself (and his wife and infant daughter), are buried in Boroondara cemetery.